Not a big year for libraries though I did get to one new one in Fairlee.
- Kimball (56) – Once the library opened, it stayed open. This includes Drop-In Time shifts as well as work shifts and regular library visits
- Chelsea (1) – Worked one fill-in shift here.
- Fairlee (1) – I was in town for a conference and stopped by.
- Hartness/Randolph (1) – Stopped by when I was on a walk I miss this place.
Previous years: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and some reviews from 2003.
Only my regulars this past year. I picked up shifts at my local library and did a few months at Chelsea Public Library while they searched for a full-time librarian. While I taught some classes virtually for Rochester I only went inside the building once, really just to say hello. Forty-four visits, but only three libraries.
- Kimball (20) – The library was open to the public for a while. I stopped in an occasionally worked a sub shift or met people here.
- Chelsea (23) – I was the W/Th librarian for a few months
- Rochester (1) – stopped by to say hello before teaching some online classes
Previous years: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and some reviews from 2003.
Like many people, I had bigger plans this year than I managed to realize. However, I did get to two new libraries which was decent for a year that saw only twenty-seven library visits total, with nineteen of them at the same library. The full list is short but memorable. I really hope to get back to the Goodrich Library in Newport again, it’s got a great collection and incredibly nice staff.
Previous years: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and some reviews from 2003.
- Kimball – my local, weekly drop-in time and occasionally pinch hitting for shifts
- Rochester – did some irregular drop-in time here
- Hartness – did not get to VTC as much as I’d like
- Pittsfield – had an empty drop-in time but it was cool to see this tiny library with an actual paid staff member now
- Goodrich/Newport – I did a First Wednesdays talk here and it was really enjoyable
- Montpelier – Don’t remember why I stopped by, but I always like visiting here
- VT Law – Hadn’t been here in a while and I stopped by before meeting a pal in SoRo
- Concord NH – Stopped in here while spending some time bumming around Concord with Jim
Visiting libraries is great. Neat things to learn about communities, comfy places to sit, clean bathrooms. I went to fewer libraries this year, but made more visits overall. Not chipping away at my VT 183 Project that quickly. This year I went to 27 libraries in six states. One hundred and eleven visits total.
Previous years: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and some reviews from 2003.
Libraries I went to a lot
- Kimball (VT) – my local
- Rochester (VT) – another almost-local where I did drop-in time
- Hartness/VTC (VT) – my local academic
- Westport (MA) – summer local, wasn’t there as much this year
- Tiverton (RI) – summer better local
- Windsor (VT) – did some library shifts here
- Howe/Hanover (NH) – always a fave wen I’m in Hanover
- Peacham (VT) – cool taxidermy and nice people
- Dorchester County PL (MD) – functional and a lovely building
- Grafton (VT) – big book sale upstairs, lots of comfy chairs
- Howe/UVM (VT) – renamed and still great, better possibly
- Carney/Dartmouth (MA)- summer fave
- Wicomico PL (MD) – simple and sturdy, a lot of great exhibits
- Norwich U (VT) – aggravating meeting, lovely library
- Shelburne (VT) – checking on the new reno, it’s great!
- Lamont/Harvard (MA) – rainy day, cozy library
- Montpelier (VT) – good place to met people
- Dartmouth/Baker-Berry (NH) – good place to hide from the rain, hoppin
- Dartmouth/Rauner (NH) – great art and wifi
- Houghton/Harvard (MA) – space exhibit and good friends
- Fall River (MA) – always impressed with what they can do in this space
- Norwich (VT)
- Hancock (VT) – so tiny, so cute
- UVM Spec Coll (VT) – great tour of the new place
- Seminole Heights (FL) – good place to chill out after a long walk
- Saunders PL (FL) – gave a talk here
- Widener/Harvard (MA) – hiding in the stacks here is one of my happy places
I continue to visit libraries every chance I get. This year I worked in my local library so my visit count is way up, I also gave my privacy talk at six Vermont libraries which was more visits. The rest were working on my VT 183 project or just curiosity. The pie chart isn’t that interesting, but you can see it here. I decided to just include a photo of one of the great libraries I visited in Warren Vermont.
This year I went to 45 libraries in six states and one Canadian province. One hundred and three visits total. Previous years: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and some reviews from 2003. Continue reading “2018 in Libraries”