I tracked the libraries that I visited this year, like every year. Previous years: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009 (and this little list of reviews from 2003)
I went to thirty-six different libraries in seven states and two non-US countries for eighty visits total. A bunch more than last year, but some were just for ukulele practice or tech planning sessions at a friend’s library. Hereâ€™s the short annotated list of what I was doing in libraries last year. Top three libraries are: my local public, my local academic and my summer local.
- Kimball – my local and also the place that hosts Ukulele Club
- Hartness at VTC – the best academic library anywhere near here. Good hours, great place to hang out.
- Carney – UMass Dartmouth – probably my favorite library building of all time
- Chelsea VT – helping with tech planning, I go here often
- Somerville West – did a talk and stopped by here another time. Lovely upstairs.
- Goddard – did some VLA website work here
- Fairfield/Millicent – One of the most amazing looking libraries in MA with some cool local lore
- Aldrich/Barre – Went to a few meetings, my favorite local library renovation story
- Mackinac Island MI – small and lovely with a great book sale and classic furniture
- NYLP/SIBL – keep waiting for them to close this but they haven’t yet
- Southworth/Dartmouth – they have a harpoon display here!
- Pierson/Shelburne VT – went to a meeting, small with a great puzzle collection
- St Ignace MI – killing time while stranded here, this is a great building where you wouldn’t expect it
- Atwater/Montreal – my favorite Canadian library
- British Library – got an awesome tour from Stella Wisdom
- ULU Senate Hall UK – got a great tour from Simon who no longer works there
- Rockingham VT – dropped off some things, stuck around to take a peek at this great place
- Guilford UK – one of the smaller local publics, nice with a watch museum next door
- Roxbury VT – helped with the automation project
- Artizan St UK – community center, small and busy
- John Harvard Library UK – had an odd section for Black Titles and a security guard
- Sunderland MA – great place to pass the time en route to or from Amherst
- Somerville MA – the other little library
- Boxboro MA – wifi to check email if you are early to visit Mom
- Boston Public – got a great tour by Tom Blake and saw some great stuff
- Sun City AZ – hanging out while visiting Jim’s folks
- UM – Duluth – Chihuly sculpture!
- NYPL/Epiphany – I always love the huge staircase in here
- Duluth MN – bizarre design but fun to hang out in
- Westport MA – great DVD collection, sort of an odd place
- Barbican UK – inside the funky Barbican, lots of great UK history books
- Varnum, Cambridge VT – stopped by randomly, folks were so nice and friendly
- Ashfield MA – gave a talk, enjoyed getting to see the place
- NYPL/Kipp’s Bay – small and in need of renovation but warm and welcoming
- City University, UK – stopped to check email en route to dinner, nice place, square dancing outside
- Vicksburg MS – neat renovation, fun kids area
Did not get to as many Vermont libraries as I had wanted to as part of my 183 project. Working slowly on maybe getting a statewide 183 project up and running with other members of the VLA. Looking forward to another year of library visiting.
Apologies for putting Duluth in MI accidentally. Now fixed.
One thought on “2014 in libraries”
I love your 183 project! There are something like 290 libraries in my state, so I don’t know if I’d ever be able to do something similar, but I love visiting libraries around the state when i get a chance. It’s a great opportunity to get new ideas.
I’m curious what your other impressions were of the Rockingham Library?
Comments are closed.