I like Valentine’s Day. I always have, whether I’m in a relationship or not. It’s one of those holidays that I try to temper my enthusiasm for because it seems so… dopey or something. My local library just started a “why I love the library” campaign with the paper hearts, just in time for town meeting day which is in a few weeks. Here are a few more library/valentine cross-over links.
- Photo is from NYPL’s selection of Victorian Valentines. There are many more images to look at in their Digital Gallery.
- It is Library Lovers Day in Australia. While the website is terrifically underwhelming [links to pdfs, really? no title in the HTML?] there are some neat things going on: a free sausage sizzle [last weekend, actually], a song from a few years ago, a special morning tea
- The Valentine Public Library is surprisingly not taking advatage of this opportunity.
- Some more promotional tie-ins: How to Love Your Library, Library Lover’s Month in Wisconsin (proclaimed by the governor in 2005), specifics about how to do a valentine-themed fundraiser and more from the Library Support website.
- The Lilly Library at Indiana University lets you send an e-valentine from their Victorian Valentine collection.
- The Peabody Library at Vanderbilt University did a Valentine workshop this week.
- The planned library anti-Valentine’s Day party, however, didn’t go so well.
- Etsy seller simplesongdesigns has a neat valentine for your favorite librarian.
- Wikimedia Commons has many valentines that can be used copyright-free.
- Amusing ephemera from the LoC collection, a valentine bank note form the Bank of True Love.
- And, continuing my search from another LoC item claiming to be from “The Oldest Valentine Manufactory in America“, the I have come across Charles Dickens’ visit to Cupid’s Manufactory available to you in full text via Google Books and truly wonderful.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
One thought on “Happy Valentine’s Day to librarians everywhere”
I would like to add the ecards for National Condom Week from Planned Parenthood. http://www.someecards.com/usercards/Planned_Parenthood/created_cards/
Comments are closed.