There are only five types of librarian news stories and Anna tells us what they are.
A few stories that I didn’t want to do fill write-ups for, collected using the Fargo ND airport’s free wifi.
- Wanted: detainee librarian, Guantanamo Bay
- “It’s All Acting” T Scott Plutchak discusses being a shy librarian, and why he’s so good in front of crowds as a result.
- “the cultural heritage, the intellectual heritage, of humans … too important to be left to one company” – Google, Privacy and Libraries in the Wall Street Journal
- The SF Maritime Museum is making their library appointment only, starting next week. Why? Budget cuts.
- Delta librarian retires, from a town where 41% of the 40,000 residents can’t read.
A few different links.
- Do librarians really love Ask.com? Gary Price discusses the Ask.com television ad [mov file] where the founder of Ask.com says “If librarians love us, then I think the world should love us too.”
- WKYC’s news program “investigates” what they see as the growing scourge of porn in libraries. Here is the original newscast which includes [non-graphic] footage of them “catching” a man masturbating to porn in the library.
- Almost Live’s takeoff on COPS, featuring librarians
- bonus video: Conan the Librarian
- double plus bonus video: the filipino librarian’s I Am A Librarian video, a response to this