Magic Tricks & Maintenance
Nebraska Library Commission
Helping the Public Learn Technology
Big Talk for Small Libraries
Handouts & Files
Links to cited sources
- Without a Net: Librarians Bridging the Digital Divide - book I wrote with companion website.
- Pew Research Center's reports on Internet & Technology
- Non users would need help getting online graphic from Pew Home Broadband report
- Broadband Adoption and Use in America & NY Times summary [pdf]
- Competing media messages image
- Jakob Nielsen's Three Stages of the Digital Divide
- Pew Internet & American Life Project August 2010 report about adoption slowdown
- IRS Advancing E-file Study
- Phil Agre - How to help someone use a computer
- Four things to do
- simple lessons and tasks with success as a primary objective
- open-ended questions and discussions
- repear, review, remind
- problem solving approach - yours and theirs
- Four things you think you shouldn't do (but you should)
- write down passwords
- give concrete suggestions
- ignore/say no sometimes
- make the computer as much like the user's own computer as possible
- Four things to avoid
- "sucks" and other negative language
- grabbing the mouse and other body language
- getting too preachy
- Four phrases to remember
- "If I am using words that you don't understand I am not doing my job as well as I could be."
- "We might be able to change that in the program's default settings"
- "This is a poorly designed website."
- "I don't know but let's find out."