You provide the computers, patrons use the computers.
What else do you need to know....?
the best defense is a good DIP!
DOCUMENTATION -- where is it?
INTERNET POLICY -- where is it?
PASSWORDS -- where are they?
WHAT DOES NORMAL LOOK LIKE HERE?
FOUR THINGS: 1) setting expectations 2) communicating the current state of affairs 3) hopefully fixing whatever's immediately broken 4) working to fix the meta problem in the future
tell bill of rights anecdote, health insurance
The tech support equivalent is hardware, software or PEBKAC?
How do you decide?
[pebkac is not something you ever say to patrons, they tend not to like it]
Note: a lot of this varies depending on the printer
- "I want to print just what I'm looking at." [make sure they get that a web page is just one big long pagecheck to see if you have a print selection option]
- "My document doesn't fit on the page." [see if there is a "print this page" option, there should be a way to scale pages when printing, usually by percentages or just "fit on page" sometimes you can span multiple pages, sometimes this just won't work]
- "I can't afford all these pages." [2-up! hard to read but saves paper]
So, now everyone's happy...
- How can you track what you did this time?
- What can you do next time?
- How can you make the connection between what you did and what others can do in the future?