"Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a
book in it."
- Mark Twain
jan : feb : mar
apr : may : jun
- Book robbery at Dawson Creek library. [thanks steven]
- Dubya Bush's wife, as we all know, is a librarian. Now a Boston Globe columnist says Cheyney has the demeanor of "a librarian in need of a nap." [thanks sarah]
- Molesting librarian stories are never this interesting in this country.
- Sorry, you can't come in, the library is now full.
- Can a Library be a Library Without Books? [thanks bex]
- You may recognize the president's name at the American Newspaper Repository. [thanks andrea]
- Wow! Check out this barn library. [thanks kristen]
- "It's a given. All librarians want to own a bookstore" [thanks casey].
- Quick, go bid on the bookmobile!
- ALA2K in haiku.
- Why this library is nothing more than a museum of books!!!
- In Norway, they know the library is where it's at.
- ASCII art librarian.
- This is not your mother's library, you have to pick up after yourself.....
- Two new features from the Libr.org multiplex: Juice homepages of the week, and chat.
- I think if I link to the Pernicious Librarian, he will be more inclined to update.
- Dr Laura Rap now downloadable! [mp3 file]
"Isn't this an exciting opportunity to expand knowledge of English and at the
same time satisfy curiosity?'' said the state's education minister. What is he talking about?
- From now on, the phrase "speaks volumes" will be banned from further librarian.net sanctioned headlines. Right after: Library pig's message speaks volumes. [thanks steven]
- Libraries open till midnight after director spends 11 days in lead-lined room. Just read it. [thanks bruce]
- Dave Davis [Fargo Public Library Director] worst handler of personnel ever? Maybe now he's done enough wrong so that he can be fired.
- Please note, offering 500 books to patrons online is NOT the same as 24 hour access.
- Surprise! The union's not sweet on the public-private partnership deal that SFPL is considering. [thanks andrea]
- Inside the IRA library. [thanks max]
- Princess works in library, does laundry, too! [thanks steven]
- Four state library fundraisers resign en masse in Sydney.
- Meanwhile, Louisiana's librarian is still getting the goods.
- New, modern Clute library also doing okay.
- Eugene is planning a new library -- everyone knows anarchists won't trash libraries, right?
- Squirrely City of Columbus won't reveal architectural firms' names until after the library contract has been awarded.
- You know that you have been dying to be a librarian in Eritrea. At least your Fulbright scholarship would go a long way..... [thanks ken]
- More press releases masquerading as news: Books by chapter arrive on the Internet. [NYT login/pass: weblog/weblog]
- Neat stuff found in Peoria library.
- Some of these links brought to you by Bot007. Dumb name, cool headline searcher. [thanks tara]
- You didn't forget about the mess in North Dakota, did you? What kind of a jerk to you have to be to not resign when the City of Fargo asks you to?
- This is the last Harry Potter link in librarian.net that doesn't also have to do with sex, anarchism or librarians. OK? [thanks steven]
- RIP Neal Harlow, librarian & historian.
- I read Library Juice end to end this week. You should too.
- To celebrate Jessamyn West's birthday, I got a library card and took out two books.
- So much in a URL....
[for those of you living under a rock, ff stands for "family friendly", allegedly].
- Lingua Franca asks experts to recommend breakthrough books in their fields. [thanks geegaw]
- Librarian puts eight year old boy to work to pay back library fines and starts huge child labor brouhaha.
- GE CEO gets bigger advance for his book than the pope did, but I bet he has to buy his own clothes....
- Bibliotherapy: "On one occasion somebody came in and said,
'I really enjoyed this book because it was
about somebody more miserable than I was'" [thanks denise]
- Do we all still love Judy Blume? An oldie but goodie about Harry Potter hysteria "At the rate we're going, I can imagine next year's headline: "Goodnight Moon' Banned for Encouraging
Children to Communicate With Furniture." And we all know where that can lead, don't we?" [thanks leche]
- Not a whole lot of content in Contentville. For example, check out the "Library" first chapters section. [thanks martha]
- Street Librarian Chris Dodge talks about MSRRT and indie publishing.
- Heh. Core values statement rejected by ALA Council.
- Former librarian now a "book reveiwing machine."
- Library Hotel to open in NYC. Guest rooms filled with books, mmmmmm. [thanks david]
- Cop kicked out of Barnes and Noble for saying fuck during poetry reading, wacky bookstore capers ensue. [thanks chuck]
- I love Captain Underpants. [thanks jen]
- The Leaky Cauldron, A Harry Potter Weblog. [thanks iboy]
- Impossibly high quorum still not met at semi-hidden location of ALA Membership II, duh!
- 16.8% of public libraries use filtering software on public terminals, and almost 95 percent of them have a
formal Internet policy.
- Entire US Census from 1790 to 1920 completely digitized, will be online this Fall. [thanks researchbuzz]
- "...a story about the new, mousy librarians appearing in video games"? No. [thanks jim]
- Harry Potter deliveries in Sierra Leone: "books are about dreams and memories. That's what this is really about, and I am happy for that" [thanks scott]
- I think people are confused about MPAA ratings. Libraries lend R-rated films to kids [thanks amylinda]
- Old British patent books surprisingly popular, librarian finds.
- Somehow I missed this creepy ALA Planner for the current conference. Maybe it's because I'm not a member anymore?
- Studs Terkel is a welcome change from Colin Powell, that's for sure.
- Al Gore comes out in support of the American Worker.
- ALA justifies spendng huge amounts of money on library PR, despite finding that people already love libraries.
- Blah blah blah Potter, blah blah blah censorship, blah blah blah hockey?! [thanks michael]
- Such stamina! Library patrons viewing porn for eight hours straight!
- Some Librarians Busier Than Ever Thanks To Internet. [thanks doug]
- Save the bookmobiles!
- Librarians approve strike in Stark County Ohio.
- An oldie but goodie -- Answer Person Q&A from Duke University. [thanks owen]
- Golf club library. [thanks steven]
- Did you know that Almond Roca was named by a librarian? [thanks amylinda]
- http://www.mugglesforharrypotter.org/ [thanks iboy]
We have had a request to block some pictures that are listed as part of your directories at eskimo.
You can see the list below. I draw your attention to http://www.eskimo.com/~jessamyn/naked/nicelady.jpg. Having quickly seen your site I wondered if you are aware of these?
Please let me know. I am intrigued!
From: bess@Surf2.safeside.net [mailto:bess@Surf2.safeside.net]
Sent: 06 July 2000 15:15
To: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: URL Submission - block
Someone who didn't enter their name requests that
http://www.eskimo.com/~jessamyn/naked/library.jpg should be blocked...
yup, guess you'll have to block me.
- The nice people at Intolerant Librarian sent me the link to their site.
- Woo hoo! Alexandria library to reopen after 1,400 years. No chief librarian [interested?], only 400,000 books [they are asking for handouts] but what name recognition, huh? [thanks juanita]
- Lavender Library, Archives and Cultural Exchange records and preserves Sacramento's gay history.
- "Sir...? Sir.... you will need to wake up or I will give you a ticket"
- Spokane Public Library selling some nice books to buy cases for nicer books.
- "....imagine if your public library eventually became a kind of
Napster for the literary set -- offering free, downloadable
versions of all the hottest book releases, which you could trade
with your friends, and carry around on your PDA" [thanks iboy]
- I knew that ebooks were really just laptops turned sideways: glassbook.
- Dystopian novel Handmaid's Tale banned again.
- Cute cute cute 'brary blog. [thanks stephanie]
- I am tired of Ask Jeeves, I am going to try Ask Jesus. [thanks rory]
- But where can I surf for porn, if not in the library? Meet the Dot-Cum lounge. [thanks juanita]
- Librarians add value. A look at Collaborative Digital Reference Service. [thanks again juanita]
- First page of Harry Potter book leaked and online...!
- Secrets of latest Harry Potter book revealed...!
- Okay, those were jokes, but I do like this story about a girl who accidentally wound up with a copy a week early.
- The Researching Librarian is a really nice concise site with good links for librarians doing research. [thanks kerry]
- "The librarian emerges from the shadowed stalls of the library bathroom. He is slowly going mad. All he ever had
was the library--his library. If he can't have it no one can." [thanks brian]
- Please note that the writer making this comparison -- "If you've ever been on a college campus in the summer, you know it's as desolate as the library during the school year." -- is a sports writer. [thanks bill]
- Barberton Public Library's history specialist set to "close the book on career", um, retire.
- Australia confronts the issues of the ebook.