- Libraries this ramblin'
librarian has been to in the past week:
- My next stops are St Louis, Ft Mitchell, KY, Athens OH, and off to the
east coast. Any libraries I shouldn't miss?
- viewer email: Organizing
Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the DDC
- Of course, there are librarians behind Weird Wisconsin
Here's some stuff to dig your teeth into while I'm gone:
- What is it about people wanting to take their clothes off in the
- I am 31 years old today. Librarian.net will be going into
mode for a few weeks as I drive across the country to VT where I will be
spending the rest of 1999 [with Internet access, never fear...]
- Anyone who lives on or near I90/I94 in MT or ND can have the pleasure of
company next week...
- Janet the tattooed
- Hennen's American Public Library
Rating Index online now!
- Did you know that Dorthea Lange also took pictures of Japanese
camps? Here's a few pictures of one
of their libraries.
- A page in the life of the Lipstick
Librarian... ""if Madonna can get a Dixie-cup pattern tattooed all
over her hands and be called a serious
artist, I can certainly do librarian. And you know there's nothing in
the world that screams 'serious' better than a
has a really nice page on how to find a human on
the internet to ask your
complicated reference questions.
- Phil Agre is a
scientist super genius who speaks real people language. He has written two
very good articles on helping people:
art of getting help and How to help
someone use a computer
- Reference librarian, ironwoman.
[NYTimes reg. required]
- Maybe you can be the next crazy person
- Two words: barbarian
Ex Libris Guru Interview this week: Debbie Abilock, school
- If I were going to work in a bookmobile, I
would at least want to drive it.
- Here's how the
press treated the study on the SF library [see libnet
- And the corresponding
Library Journal editorial
- September is Library Card Sign Up Month. Here's 50 ways to use your
- Having a book sale? Looking for a book sale? You need book-sales-in-america.com.
- Both of today's links from the exemplary Suburban Library System's
- A very nice looking set of pages outlining the fundamentals in
- For the cat lovers [or cat
non-lovers] among you.
firstname.lastname@example.org: Amazon.com's privacy
- Legal battle
under way over transgender librarian
- Reference junkies, get your head around this: it's an encyclopedia [of
every entry starts with the word
- While we're at it, how about a visual
thesaurus? [java-heavy toy]
Scraps Library, Plans Presidential IHOP.
- But how can I be a well-paid librarian at the Sydney Olympic
games...? Check out The One
Umbrella Infotech Recruiters
- Have you heard the one about The Major and The
- Dr. Laura still freaking
out about porno ... while in the same paper a
day later, librarians say that porno
is not a problem.
- You all knew that Jorge
Luis Borges was a librarian, right?
- Is it censorship if the Navy refuses
to sell a book in bookstores on military bases?
- Have mercy! Every book Art
Garfunkel has ever read since I was born.
- Graphics for your web page?
- The library as a place where "people come
together and do the unconscious work of being neighbors". A story of one
man's push for a library for his small town.
- Another cute little library -- 575
square feet in San Francisco.
- I provide good service to people I like.
I also provide good service to people I dislike.
Because the Library is goodness.
- More where this came from at Librarian's Lao
Tzu. Check out the rest of One
Librarian's Opinion, including the top ten
reasons why the Internet still will not replace the public library.
- Been meaning to get to this for a while... the more
high tech among you could benefit from the Perl
Toolkit for Libraries and associated mailing list Perl4Lib.
- Loggy and librarian-y, it's the extremely digestable Rain Barrel
- Guest link today from the Laughing Librarian:
condom machines in restrooms* in 2 branches; a concerned
parent who presumably never stops at gas stations during family car
trips alerts Dr. Laura; no one else seems to care.
(*Instead of in the 613.94's or 616.951's.)
Reasons Amazon Can't have It All
- San Fran Public Library Post-Occupancy Evaluation
Summary. Or "We have a new library and still no place to put
all the books, what now?"
- Private developers lay out funds for
- Very thorough copyright
FAQ. And elsewhere, a
quiz to see how much you know.
- Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear
birthday to you. [okay, it was really last week, but the guy is dead
five principles plus Line's five anti-library laws. My favorite: "the
library is a growing mausoleum".
- Librarian.net in the e-press: Guru Interview, Jessamyn
West in Ex Libris.
lifelong pursuit of "reasonable extrapolation.". Libraries feed the need
of book addicts. Where? EBay!
- Library and town battle over door
placement of new library.
- Following the model of amazon.com to provide better library service? An
article from Searcher
magazine. And the follow-up
- Links to free stuff for
your library from your friends at Bowker
- "Anyone want to
pet the cockroach?" the librarian
- Librarian dream
comic. [scroll down]
- After all the hubub about the naming of Banned Books Week, AIP has come out with
the appropriately named, and very interesting 1999 Almost
Banned Book Awards Winners. More info at Library Juice [scroll to #14].
- Do you believe, really truly believe, that something called the Intelligent Library
System will make your jobs easier? Really?
- Do we know Dewey? Does anyone?
Technology and Human Responsibility, FAQ. Go read this now. An
43. Should we smash the intelligent machines around us?
Neither the uncritical, pro-technology stance nor the violently
anti-technology stance is a matter of wakefulness. Mastering the
machines in our lives is as different from smashing them as it is from
yielding passively to them.
- The seemingly definitive list of
conferences you can go to internationally.
- Can't go? Live vicariously through system librarian Eric Lease
Morgan's travel logs.
Excerpt from most recent trip "My trip to Worcester, MA was a logistical
nightmare where I was misinformed by every institution involved and I have
born an unncessary, $400, out-of-pocket expense."
- More professional sports players letting down
the catalogue ye go for men': evaluation criteria for
retrieval systems." Great article with a great title from Information
- IR also maintains the incredibly useful but bizarrely formatted list of
journals in the info research field that have free content on-line
- Sure you can look at porn on our library computers.... but it will cost
- Bookmobile, meet cybermobile.
- In the eerily titled article "Cyberspace,
Deviance, and Children", Terry Gudaitis posits that teaching children
how to responsibly navigate the Internet is analogous to other socialization
skills such as teaching them not to steal and how to say please and thank
While you're there, check out the rest of the cutely named Imp Magazine.
- Books may actually cost more online than at local indie shops.
Who sez? A local
- How did I miss revenge
of the librarians? It begins: "I have a
confession to make: I'm a librarian."